Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 06:41:36 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2 RELEASE - Install hangs during boot

At 09:22 PM 11/22/00 -0600, Drew Sanford wrote:

>This did not work. I've also noticed that my 4.1-RELEASE cd, which last
>night booted all the way into the install before complaining about not
>being able to find any disks, is stopping in the same place. The box has
>been sitting on the floor unplugged and closed up since last night. Color
>me confused.

Please wrap your lines at 70 characters.

The plot thickens....

Did you change any BIOS settings since 4.1R booted?

When it boots pause it at the PCI device listing.  Looking for an IRQ
conflict.  Do you have a PS/2 mouse on this system as well?

I turned on the IDE controllers (VIA 686 and Promise), turned the parallel
port back on, and attached a drive to the Primary ATA-100 port.  There is a
conflict here with IRQ10 being held by the Promise and one of the 3Ware
cards I have installed, but it does not hang and probes fairly
quickly.  When the drive (IBM DTLA-307015) is removed, it takes a long time
to probe.  Could add another drive on the primary, but that would have to wait.

The only thing I can suggest is to turn off the secondary on-board
IDE.  Won't free an IRQ, but might stop the hang (no need to probe if it
isn't in use).  If that doesn't work, then try pulling either the SB or NIC
out.

One thing I did notice is the onboard IDE listing:

Nov 22 07:00:57 local4 /kernel: atapci0: <VIA 82C686 ATA66 controller> at
device 4.1 on pci0
Nov 22 07:00:57 local4 /kernel: atapci0: Busmastering DMA not supported

Huh?  Doesn't matter with the 3Ware cards, but that caught my eye.  I did
enable DMA at one point before the 3Ware cards came in.

Should nothing work, the only suggestion would be not bother with the
ATA-100 ports, especially with only one drive.  There is no gain to be had
(at least until a drive comes out that can saturate an ATA-66 port), but an
IRQ is used.

At least your hang wasn't in the BIOS.  Did that when setting up the first
3Ware card.  No boot and when in the BIOS setup changing to the "Boot"
window would seize up the machine.  Loading the defaults worked around it
and I can't duplicate it.  Weird.  Only complaint otherwise is the lack of
ECC support with the KT133 chipset.  Hope VIA doesn't turn that into a
trend.  8-/

Back to sleep and dream of turkey.
Have a good thanksgiving!

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net