Date:      Mon, 5 Sep 2005 19:11:42 -0500
From:      Jason Harmening <jason.harmening@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   [6.0-BETA] ACPI+Thinkpad A31 problems

My Thinkpad A31 has ACPI issues with 6.0-BETA--it worked fine with 5.4, but
with 6.0 if I suspend and resume with the X server running, the screen will
become garbled. If I shut down X before suspending, it  will resume fine, but
if I then try to restart X, the screen will again  become garbled. The
machine will still be responsive--I can issue  commands via ssh--but if I try
to issue a reboot or shutdown command, it will hang and I'll have to do a
hard reboot.  The problem began when I upgraded from 5.4 in July and is still
present with the latest 6.0-BETA4.

The laptop has a Radeon 7500, and I know radeondrm + ACPI problems have been
reported before, but this problem happens regardless of whether I have DRI
enabled in xorg.conf or radeondrm in my kernel.  The only tunables I have set
are hint.psm.0.flags=0x2000 in device.hints (to reinitialize the mouse on
resume) and hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3.

Let me know if I should provide further information--this seems to be a very
serious regression from 5.x.

Thanks,
Jason Harmening