Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 14:44:41 -0500
From:      "Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM" <tforrest@mcs.net>
To:        "Alex Charalabidis" <alex@wnm.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: POP for FreeBSD ?

Okay, let me rephrase my question.  Does Qpopper support the POP3
extensions that allow me to send mail?  If it does not, which ones do?
There have to be some out there as MCS uses one.  I've tried to figure
out which one they use (short of emailing postmaster) with no luck.

tnks.

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 13:05:23 -0600 (CST), Alex Charalabidis wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>
>> Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM wrote,
>> > On this thread - does Qpopper allow one to send using authenticated
>> > POP3?  My shell provider - mcs.net shut off SMTP relaying quite some
>> > time ago.  I was told by one of the head gurus to switch my email
>> > client to POP3 for sending (as MCS is not my internet provider).  This
>> > has worked great as it only accepts mail from me if I put my username
>> > and password in (apparently, this feature is not well known, because
>> > even the tech support guys at mcs.net argued with me for 10 minutes (on
>> > my dime) that you cannot send with POP3 - I said "I've been doing it
>> > for months").
>>
>> I guess you already heard this, but:
>>
>> 	You cannot sent mail with POP3.
>>
>> The guys on mcs.net are right. POP3 protocol has no standards for
>> sending email.
>>
>This is repeated in RFC 2449. It would also assume the MUA has the
>capability of changing protocols or port numbers at will (which many do
>not). Anyway, if I wanted my users to send mail through POP3, I wouldn't
>be telling them to use an SMTP server like pretty much everyone else in
>the world. Consider a mailserver with SMTP AUTH support (sendmail 8.10?)
>rather than some oddball POP3 hack.
>
>-ac
>

>--
>Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
>Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
>WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000

Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM -  tforrest@mcs.net
http://www.mcs.net/~tforrest
And now, its time, for some useless, bandwidth wasting words of wisdom:
Happiness Is Seeing Your Mother-in-law on a Milk Carton

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 5762 A3CC 8EA5 8542  9666 222B 61A9 2558

** Tag(s) inserted by Bandit Tagger98 - http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c918704