Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 23:54:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
Cc:        Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Driver for GDT6517RD RAID controller

On 9 Oct 1999, Randell Jesup wrote:
> Sure.  In this case, if someone had docs on the bus interface for a
> 710-based card, and people had some real use for a driver for them (I
> don't know if that's true), it probably wouldn't be hard to modify an
> '810 driver to support it.  I didn't have any real plans to do so when
> I joined this group, but Matt Dodd asked me to look into how easy it
> would be, and that's not a bad way to get a handle on how SCSI drivers
> under FreeBSD work.

I've taken a look at the NCR driver and my conclusion, outside of any SIM
issues is that 2 things need to happen.

1. The NCR driver needs to be converted to bus_space.

	Since the driver currently uses a number of macros to do
	various inb/outb functions this won't be all that difficult but
	will involve a bit of cleanup, mostly tedious.

	I suggest that such cleanup move relevent sections of the
	defines to ncr_reg.h, and the shared struct definitions
	to ncr_var.h.  Currently ncrreg.h has some content that
	would go in one or the other.

2. The NCR driver needs be converted to use newbus, not the legacy shims
   it is currently using.

	This would give us a chance to rip all of the PCI front end code
	out and place it in a separate file (ncr_pci.c)

	This would also mean that the 'generic' ncr_attach() functionality
	be isolated from the new ncr_pci_attach().

If someone wants to start working on this I will make myself available for
newbus related questions and will also provide EISA bus front ends for the
various onboard and expansion 53c7xx based boards I've got laying around.

Since the 53c[78]xx chips either have onboad PCI interfacing logic, or
make use of fairly standard bus interface logic I don't think that the
actual bus specific bits will be anything more than bus_space and
attention to proper alignment.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |