Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:41:07 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IOPs ... what exactly are they?

(this should not have been sent to -smp, redirected)

> Searching google isn't coming up with anything that explains it ... can
> someone point me to some docs, or provide an explanation?

An "IOP" is an I/O operation.  IOPs are the MIPS of the I/O world.

> For instance, Tom stated that the 170 does 4000IOPs, vs the 352 at
> 7000IOPs ... yet, the 352 will do twice the sustained transferof the 170
> (200MB/s vs 100MB/s) ... so, IOPs don't == transfer speed ...

That's correct.  The IOP rating is a function of the CPU speed and
available I/O; the 352 has twice as many busses as the 170 (hence 200MB/
sec vs. 100), but it's CPU-limited to less than twice on total I/Os per
second.

> And, I imagine (can't get to the Mylex web site right now for some
> reason), the 2000 has an even higher rating then both of those ...

Yes; it has 4 channels and more CPU.

> So, when evaluating what one needs, how do you determine?  are there
> thresholds one can work with?  4000IOPs will comfortably handle n xgig
> drives, but if you go above n, then you really need to jump to the 7k IOP
> level else performance drops substantially?

You ignore the IOP rating entirely.

> We're looking at this for a database server, so will most likely be going
> to the 64MB cache level automatically ... but beyond that, I'm virtually
> uneducated :(

Adding cache isn't really useful; it's like a rubber band - unless you
have enough real bandwidth, eventually it'll stretch as far as it can go.

Work out how much I/O your server is going to do, and then scale your
disks accordingly.