Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:44:47 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   xmodmap and juggling secondary pointer buttons

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

I'm confused.

xmodmap does not seem to be able to rearrange secondary pointer device
buttons in any way.

I have two pointer devices (as implied above) that work fine, so long
as I keep the secondary configured to use only the basic 3 buttons and
wheel.

Both devices have two additional buttons, but they (all) behave
strangely unless I use the following line in .xsession:

xmodmap -e "pointer =3D 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

This changes the button reporting in xev for the core pointer device,
but not the secondary pointer.

Without that, the wheel acts as a forward/back history click in my
browser, and the extra buttons act like the scroll up/down should.
This makes the extra buttons behave as a history forward/back, and the
wheel behave as it's expected to.

I've tried changing the ZAxisMapping settings, but this doesn't seem
to make a difference.

I've also tried a number of different configs and ZAxisMapping
settings, and I've narrowed it down to the CorePointer/SendCoreEvents
options.

My pointer buttons report as follows:
$ xmodmap -pp
There are 7 pointer buttons defined.

    Physical        Button
     Button          Code
        1              1
        2              2
        3              3
        4              6
        5              7
        6              4
        7              5

This is accurate for the primary pointer, but not the secondary.

If I configure the secondary to use ZAxisMapping of "4 5" the wheel
works as expected and the extra buttons don't report at all.  If I use
"6 7", the extra buttons work like the wheel scrolling is expected,
and the wheel scroll works like the extra buttons are expected (and do
in the primary pointer.

It's minor at this point, but I'm still curious; does anyone know why
this happens, and if there's a workaround to get the secondary pointer
buttons rearranged?

TIA

Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
Please send off-list email to:         leblanc at keyslapper d.t net
Key fingerprint =3D C5E7 4762 F071 CE3B ED51  4FB8 AF85 A2FE 80C8 D9A2

Statistics means never having to say you're certain.

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr--