Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:06:35 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/62302: SIZE in distinfos causes failure with	FETCH_CMD=wget

--=-WhzjXNd29lEfsov7OUC0

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 14:28, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>=20
> > On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 06:04, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> >=20

> >>You run into a similar problem if you have distfiles in /cdrom/ports/di=
stfiles
> >>and do `make FETCH_CMD=3Dwget FETCH_SYMLINK_DISTFILES=3Dyes fetch'. The=
 problem gets
> >>worse if you do `make FETCH_CMD=3Dcurl fetch'. Either:
> >>
> >>- only `fetch' is supported, and you can use FETCH_CMD only to specify =
a different
> >>  path to the binary
> >>
> >>or
> >>
> >>- we have a reason to support other file transfer utilities (e.g. they =
support
> >>  distributed downloading or special firewall protocols) and have to fi=
x this.

> >>So, what do you think?
> >=20
> > This is fixed in the current bento run as a DISABLE_SIZE macro has been
> > added.  Defining this in /etc/make.conf will disable the -S argument.=20
> > As well, SIZE attributes are now recorded by default unless NO_SIZE is
> > defined.
> >=20
> > Joe
>=20
> This does not fix FETCH_SYMLINK_DISTFILES nor support curl. Do we support=
 different
> file transfer utilities (wget, curl) or don't we? If we want to, we could=
 use
> something like

I never said it added support for anything.  However, it allows one to
remove the -S argument to FETCH_CMD if desired.  As for
FETCH_SYMLINK_DISTFILES, this is less-likely to be encountered than
SIZE, and can easily be undefined by the user.

>=20
> FETCH_EXTRA_ARGS=3D	-ARr
> FETCH_EXTRA_ARGS+=3D	$${CKSIZE:+-S $$CKSIZE}
> FETCH_CMD?=3D		/usr/bin/fetch ${FETCH_EXTRA_ARGS}
>=20
> which is easily extensible to support other tools.=20

Since we already have hooks in bsd.port.mk for alternate FETCH_CMDs, we
should probably do something like this.  However, I don't think it
should be a requirement that we test with different file transfer tools.

Joe

>=20
> -Oliver
--=20