Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 21:02:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Charles C. Figueiredo" <marxx@apocalypse.superlink.net>
To:        "Brett L. Hawn" <blh@nol.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd + synfloods + ip spoofing

	Using DES as a random number generator would be excellent, but might
not be quick enough. It was rather nicely discussed in a IP spoofing and
TCP sequence prediction paper I read. Being easy to syn flood + spoof has
not much to do when it comes to FreeBSD vs. Linux, after 1.3.7x I believe
a patch isn't even needed to spoof an IP packet. Let's face it, it would
be somewhat silly to attempt to disallow IP packet spoofing, all you're
doing it manually building a IP header, and sending it away. Traceroute
and the such need to generate their own headers. Besides, unless your
clueless losers and lame crackers gain root, they can't open raw sockets.
Most spoofing/sequencing/hijacking attempts an experiments are from people
with individual workstations, connected, not users on a server.
Practically all Unices are easy to syn flood + spoof on, ok, it only takes
8 requests to hose, but that's irrelevant. The problem doesn't lye in how
quickly, it's that it occurs. The problem shouldn't be delt with on the
client side, but on the server side.

Regards,

Marxx

"I don't want to grow up, I'm a BSD kid. There's so many toys in /usr/bin
that I can play with!"

Charles C. Figueiredo            Marxx                  marxx@superlink.net