Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 02:22:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf system and SMPng (new revised diff)

  Following Chuck Paterson's suggestions, I've reviewed the mbuf diff once
  again and diff'ed up a new revised version:

  	http://people.freebsd.org/~bmilekic/mbuf_mtx-v6.diff

  I've really "axed" up sys/sys/mbuf.h, and have seperated the macros into
  more logical divisions, and ones that minimize code bloat (in fact, the
  diff is a TAD smaller, ~1.5k smaller). In effect, I've gotten rid of
  m_mballoc_wait_hdr and now just use m_mballoc_wait; much cleaner.

  Following Chuck's advice, I've minimized the hysterics over grabbing
  locks before and after the allocator routines. The only thing to note is
  that despite a mutex being held, certain mbstat members still need to be
  manipulated with atomic()s as they may sometimes be modified from code
  holding the mmbfree lock, and sometimes from code holding the mclfree
  lock (there are only 2 such members, if I recall).

  If you're reviewing, be sure to carefully look at the changes in
  sys/sys/mbuf.h.

  I've also tested this diff under heavy network load and a local mbuf
  starvation simulation, and it seemed to hold up pretty well (on UP
  hardware).

  Same deal for this version of the diff as before, comments/reports
  requested!

  Cheers,

  Bosko Milekic
  bmilekic@technokratis.com