Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2012 10:47:01 -0700
From:      Eric S Pulley <pulley@dabus.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How is zfs file system known in fsck?

--On November 18, 2012 10:38:43 AM -0500 Lynn Steven Killingsworth
<blue.seahorse.syndicate@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi FreeBSD -
>
> On my PC-BSD 9.1 RC3 I need to run fsck on my internal storage drive.
>
> I would like to use I think:
>
> fsck -y -F -t ufs /dev....
>
> The question is what should I place for 'ufs' since I have zfs.  My
> guesses just generate similar to 'directories unknown'  My disk is also
> gpt. If I leave out the file system type after -t my machine apparently
> accepts a command to do something, but it of course does not do what is
> needed.
>
> Thanks

If you're going to run "advanced" filesystems you really should try to
understand how they work. There is no fsck tool and no need for one on zfs.
If you have managed to loose data while running zfs you'd better have a
backup.

Read zpool(8) zfs(8)
and possibly <http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/index.html>;