Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 1998 09:06:07 +0200
From:      Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM as system disk

>Exactly.  Killing one in two days as reported by another poster
>surprised me a bit too, but it's not unrealistic.

There should be some way to do this. As far as I've gathered, this is caused
primarily by the spinup/spindown/seek/read sequence. Couldn't we have some
kind of option to mount_cd9660 to disable / postpone spindown?

>> I take it that nobody will object if I move it to /var/run?
>Only everyone that expects it to be in /etc, along with everyones'
>scripts and all the ports (eg. sshd).

How about adding a /var/run/nologin, while keeping /etc/nologin for
some time, to give people time to change their sources? Also, isn't
there some way to create a symlink  or something which doesn't show
up when the target file does not exist?

>You'd still get disk accesses.  You could go with an MFS_ROOT kernel on
>a bootable CDROM, make the MFS_ROOT filesystem adequately large, mount
>the CDROM, copy the system off it, unmount it.  You'd still have to
>stash your local configs somewhere.

Alternately, he could fix unionfs and use an MFS root w/cdrom overlay.

---
Marius Bendiksen, IT-Trainee, ScanCall AS