Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:54:04 +0000
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@clicknet.com>
To:        "C. Randolph Philipp" <cphilipp@pop500.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Cc:        FreeBSD-mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Where is the Latest FAQ?

C. Randolph Philipp wrote:
> I am curious as to what laptops are supported by FreeBSD?  I have talked to
> Tatsumi Hosokawa, and he stated that the Laptop survey on the PAO-FreeBSD
> are out of date.  Is there a list of supported Laptops that fairly recent?
> I am curious about Dell Inspiron and the status of support for the
> Texas Intruments PCI 1131 Cardbus Controller.

I'm currently using the Dell Inspiron 3000 with FreeBSD v2.2.5. It has
the NeoMagic chip set so I went ahead and purchased Xaccel from Xinside
and that works great.

Standard PCCard support works (I had some problems getting it going but
it was probably user error)
APM bios works well with FreeBSD APM support and suspends/resumes very
well (via commands or by closing the lid.) I keep it in suspend to RAM
because the battery lasts so damn long (esp when you have the second one
in) that I didn't want to give up the HD space ;)

All in all I'm really happy with the system.  I only have one more bug
to work out which is the PCCArd chip wanting the lowest free IRQ and
then not conflicting with a card I put in (I temporarily have that fixed
by turning off COM1 and so the card I put in takes COM1 and Int 4.)

-Sean