Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 21:05:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Julian C. Dunn" <jdunn@aecinfo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "eval: major botch" when trying to compile sendmail (during make world)

As per Doug's suggestion yesterday regarding my "dmesg: magic number
unknown" problem, I tried recompiling userland. My "make world" seemed to
run okay until the point where it tried to make a sendmail.cf -- I got
this error:

===> usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf
rm -f freebsd.cf
(cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf && m4 ../m4/cf.m4 freebsd.mc) >
freebsd.cf
m4: eval: major botch

and then it dies. I tried doing this by hand, i.e. changing directories to
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf and typing "m4 ../m4/cf.m4 freebsd.mc >
freebsd.cf, but I get the same error message. Any ideas? I already
cvsupped the source tree before I did "make world".

- Julian

            Julian Dunn, System Administrator <jdunn@aecinfo.com>
               AEC InfoCenter Inc. <http://www.aecinfo.com/>;
            World's Largest and Most Active Business Center for
   Architecture, Engineering, and Construction: Over 1.2M hits every month!
            Voice: (416) 489-9000  *  Toll Free: 1-800-AEC-6390