Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:51:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        <dochawk@psu.edu>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: which is faster zip drive under FreeBSD: usb or parallel?

On 2001-06-26, j mckitrick scribbled:

# Hmmm.  What about an orb drive?  USB tape?  USB CD-RW?  Jaz?

Haven't heard too much about the Orb drives, I'm not sure about USB tape
drive compatibility with FreeBSD (it may use the umass driver), dunno
about USB CD-RW compatibility... and Jaz... I don't know if the 2GB
drives are more stable than their older 1GB model. You can need to go
USB->SCSI for those though.

# I guess i am looking for a cheap, easy backup method that works with a
# laptop.  I like random access/magnetic media, but i'm not married to it.

Zip 250 might be the way to go then... If you really need portability,
then the USB Powered Zip 250 model will work (since you won't need to
lug around a wall wart). If you want speed, SCSI is the best model, but
you need adapters for that to work on a laptop.

Some laptops allow you to take out a CD-ROM drive and swap in an
internal Zip module (IDE). My IBM ThinkPad T21 allows me to do that (but
be prepared to pay through the nose though).

# I just moved the CVS tree to a 250 meg zip plus.  Couldn't really do that
# with a tape drive.

Agreed.

--
Linh Pham