Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2013 09:39:34 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>
To:        Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk>
Cc:        Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, Ports FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: LLVM 3.2: official stable port is still LLVM 3.1. Basesystem missing important LLVM pieces!

On 6 Jan 2013, at 20:38, Erik Cederstrand wrote:

> You can't seriously blame LLVM for making progress. If ports rely on a =
specific version of LLVM, it would be far better to create devel/llvm31, =
devel/llvm32 etc.

Well, I can (and, even with my LLVM committer hat on, do) blame LLVM for =
not having a sensible deprecation strategy.  Breaking the ABI is =
unavoidable in a C++ project (unless you invent an entire metalanguage =
on top of C++, as Qt does) but breaking the API is a huge pain, when it =
would be no more effort in most cases to stick on a deprecation =
attribute telling people what they should be using instead.

Having llvm31, llvm32, and so on ports is likely to be unavoidable, as =
lots of external projects end up depending on older versions of LLVM.  =
It would be worth splitting out clang from these.  A few =
refactoring-type tools depend on old versions of clang, but most =
commonly people will be using latest clang with latest LLVM, plus =
something else with old LLVM. =20

David=