Date:      Sat, 06 Jul 2013 12:24:40 +0100
From:      Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fixing the man page for renice

Okay - I've been around here for some time but I haven't actually
changed anything. I'm hoping someone will sanity check the following as
a reasonable course of action, as I really don't want to mess anything up.

I'm reading:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/problem-reports/index.html

The problem is the man page for renice. Has anyone tried it as the root
user in a jail? You can increase the nice value of any process within
the jail you like, but you can't decrease it. In other words it behaves
as though you were a standard user except you can change other users'
processes too.

This all seems reasonable as you don't want the root user in their
jailed machine pinching CPU time from everyone else. It's probably
documented somewhere, but I've only found an old discussion about
allowing jailed users to renice anything. It's certinaly not in the
first place I'd look - the man page.

So, what I've done:

I've searched for "renice" in
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?query and not found it
listed.

I've Googled for things like "renice in jail"

I've checked out the behaviour out on running systems I have available
to me.

I'm about to fill out this form here:

http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html

Should I do anything else first?