Date:      Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:45:14 -0700
From:      pete wright <nomadlogic@gmail.com>
To:        Tomas Randa <lists@hosting50.cz>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange SATA problem - data corrupting

On 9/12/05, Tomas Randa <lists@hosting50.cz> wrote:
>=20
> Hello,
>=20
> I have very strange problem with my FreeBSD box and Promise PDC20579
> SATA controller:
>=20
> atapci0@pci0:7:0: class=3D0x010400 card=3D0x3574105a chip=3D0x3574105a
> rev=3D0x02 hdr=3D0x00
> vendor =3D 'Promise Technology Inc'
> device =3D 'Promise SATAII150 579 (tm) IDE Controller'
> class =3D mass storage
> subclass =3D RAID
>=20
> ad4: 381554MB <ST3400832AS/3.02> [775221/16/63] at ata2-master SATA150
>=20
> Problem is, that every HDD connected to this controller is corrupting
> data. For example: I copy good tar.gz archive to this drive, and if I do
> decompression immediately after copying, there is no problem, but if I
> wait for example 10 minutes, then decompression ends with CRC error:
>=20
> box# gzip -d ./2005-09-11.tar.gz
> gzip: ./2005-09-11.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error
> gzip: ./2005-09-11.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--length error
>=20
> I know, that problem is not in HDD or CPU/RAM, but in controller. Could
> it be a driver problem or not? I tried to turn off soft-updates, but
> with no change. I have no any ideas what to do or what to try.
>=20
> Thanks a lot for any answer or opinion.

Are you sure that it is not an issue with the drives? Just to make sure, yo=
u=20
have attached these drives to another, known working system and seen the=20
same issues. Also, have you made sure that the cabling to the drives=20
themselves are not broken, and are seated properlly. To be sure, I'd grab a=
=20
set of working sata cables and test out again. Finally, if you have done=20
this hardware trouble shooting already and are sure that it is not a=20
hardware issue with your disks/cabling/controller itself I would post the=
=20
version of FreeBSD you are running (uname -ar) along with a dmesg to the=20
list.

-p

--=20
~~o0OO0o~~