Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:33:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Tanvir Hassan <tanvir@mail.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: FreeBSD Install problems with SCSI Jaz...]

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Tanvir Hassan wrote:

> Unfortunately this did not work.  I have an aha-2940 with 1 4Gb USCSI
> disk and the Jaz disk.  The USCSI disk shows up first in the probe (as
> d:) and then the Jaz disk shows up (it does not have any letter bound to
> it).  When I used the booteasy program I installed it on my IDE boot
> drive and it only showed F1: dos and F5: 2nd disk.  It never showed the
> Jaz.  I told my controller to make the Jaz bootable and even that did
> not work.

The problem may be that:

1.  The adapter doesn't consider removable devices to be bootable.  My NCR
falls into this category.
2.  The BIOS can only boot from the first two disks in the system.  You've
already filled that up with real hard disks.

So you need to teach your controller that the Jaz is, really and truly, a
disk.  That may not be possible.

You could certainly install part of FreeBSD to one of your disks, then put
the rest on the Jaz (or mount the jaz as an extra volume).

> Linux was ALOT easier to install.  Is there any real difference between
> FreeBSD and Linux?  I have Linux installed and running and now that
> FreeBSD is having so many problems, I am inclined to just give up on it.

Real differences? They're based on completely different code bases and
have completely different design goals.  Linux is set to work; FreeBSD is
set to work efficiently in a production environment.

> Also, I could not see my modem in the install because it is plug and
> play.  Linux has this simple utility called pnpisa to grab pnp data and
> configure devices so that non PNP OS'es like Linux can deal with them.
> Apparently PNP capability is going to be in the kernel RSN.  Does
> FreeBSD have this capability?  Or even if I ever do get FreeBSD to see
> my Jaz will I not be able to use PNP devices?

PnP compatibility may come with 3.0-RELEASE, which is not due for a while.
I believe there may be a patchkit available for 2.2-RELEASE that will add
PnP capability; it's on the CD-ROM or FTP site in xperimnt/.