Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 18:19:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: max filessystem size in FreeBSD 2.2?

> > What is the maximum filesystem size?
>
> 2^63 or 9 * 10^18 bytes.  There is a disklabel issue at 128G;
> patches are available (yes, people are running with larger than 128G
> FS's).
>
> The maximum single file size is on the order of 2^48 (~280G) because
> of VM limitations.  Ask John Dyson to be sure.

Current VM limitations are probably due to the PAGE_SIZE being 4K, and
we can have 32 bits of them.  Whether it is 2GPages or 4GPages depends
on my code signed/unsigned bogosity factor :-), or using the "right
variable sizes."

There is probably a limitation in vfs_bio (or other filesystem code) of
512Bytes for a block and we can have 32 bits of them.  That would
cause me to guess that at that layer we can probably do 1Tb (512*2GBlocks).
Again, there might be a problem with using the "right size" of variables.

There are other limitation that I have heard of, but those are the basic
limitations of the above subsystems.  It is possible to overcome them,
and I would think that the vfs_bio limitation is worse.

John