Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 2002 21:49:26 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha performance on -current

Peter Wemm wrote:
> Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> > [non-null null syscall tests]
>
> We really need a null system call to test for these.  How about
> __sysnull(2)?  What lmbench is testing is syscall overhead *plus* several
> iterations of mutex gain/releases.  Possibly with a couple of sysctl knobs
> to enable turning on of "typical" locking operations.  eg:
> kern.sysnull.giant = gain/release giant, kern.sysnull.proc = gain/release
> proc lock etc.  Then we can easily test the *actual* syscall overhead.

Isn't this a reasonable thing for it to test?  Or are there system
calls that don't have the several iterations of mutex gain/release?

IMO, the test should be "all code that is common to all
system calls".

If this yields bad numbers for now, that's fine, as long
as it gets optimized at some point in the future, there
should be no problem with the numbers indicating what needs
to be optimized.  At least that way, the benchmark would
have *some* real meaning.

-- Terry