Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 00:04:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Heyer <john@jfive.com>
To:        FreeBSD-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Just Plain Weird problem

After setting up a FreeBSD 2.2.7 proxy/mail server off-site for a client,
we noticed it to be having trouble sending mail to and from our primary
DNS/mail server.  Even though finger and talk worked fine, telnet, ssh,
ftp, mail, and http would all hang regardless of which way we were going.
Futhermore, we noticed the new server doing the same thing for sites such
as www.sgi.net, but working fine for say, www.yahoo.com. Traceroute and
ping to anywhere works fine.

At the time the new machine was running sendmail 8.9.1, named, socks 5,
squid 2.1 and had 2 intel etherexpress pro cards, but after disabling
everything including the second ethernet card and rebooting, nothing
changed.

And in a truly weird thing, http to sunsite.unc.edu works fine but ftp to
it hangs (yes, both were up at the time).  This is the part that's truly
baffling.

All I can think of a this point is that it's a bad ethernet card or a
corrupted installation.  It's definately not a routing issue (i.e.
www.iup.edu won't work but www.co.iup.edu is fine), and probably isn't
DNS since doing nslookup on just about anything from the new server works
fine.

Any ideas?  A quick look at TCP dump shows the client machine just sending
out packets but never getting a reply.  They are on a dialup connection
with a Compatible MicroRouter, but no filtering that I'm aware of.

--
john@arnie.jfive.com

"Mr. Spock, your mind is incedibly logical and analytical!"

"Thank you."