Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 02:03:37 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc:        "Weston M. Price" <wmprice@direcway.com>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: J2SDKEE1.3.1

> > > 	I was wondering if anyone might be interested in working on a port for
> > > the J2SDKEE1.3.1 from Sun Microsystems. I have never constructed a port
> > > but I think this would be a good place to start.
> >
> > Nope, she's all yours to conquer! :)
>
> As far as I am aware, j2ee is composed entirely of .jar files and has no
> executable component.
>
> Personally, I just pick and choose the necessary .jar files, mostly from
> the jakarta-tomcat and other jakarta ports.  I personally see no need
> for a separate j2ee port.

Well, the Sun J2EE 1.3 SDK would certainly be nice in the ports system. But
you are right, there are already multiple J2EE implementations, like Orion
and JBoss/Jetty (or JBoss/Tomcat). But these are J2EE 1.2 compliant, I
believe, not 1.3.

However, the J2EE 1.3 SDK is not production-quality software, while an
application server like Orion is.

Ernst