Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 18:44:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        z_keithd@TITAN.SFASU.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Manager

On Sun, 13 Jul 1997 z_keithd@TITAN.SFASU.EDU wrote:

> Ok...sorry for the double mail message/post here.
>
> Here's my setup:  FreeBSD-2.2.2-RELEASE as primary on wdc0
>                   Windows95 as primary on wdc1
>                   (basically each on separate controller)
> The problem is that on bootup it gives me F1 for FreeBSD and F5 for
> "disk2".  The F1 works perfectly, yet when I press F5 is also puts me into
> FreeBSD instead of dual-booting over to windows 95.  Is there somewhere to
> change the settings for it?

This usually indicates that your geometry is wrong or your BIOS can't
reach the disk.  You probably need to move your win95 disk onto the same
controller as your FreeBSD disk for booteasy to work properly.

> I've also got problems with XFree86 3.3, but I'm requesting help from them
> first.  That reminds me...how do I get more virtual consoles?  I have 3 at
> the moment and can't seem to figure out how to get more.  I did notice in
> LINT that there might be something that applies.  But if it takes a kernel
> rebuild, it'll have to wait till I can get the time.

TO add more virutal consoles:

1.  Set MAXCONSOLES to some number greater than the number of consoles you
want to have total.  I don't see this in GENERIC for 2.2-GAMMA so it may
not be required anymore.

2.  Create the number of virtual console devices.  Run

/dev/MAKEDEV vtyX

where X = total number of virtual consoles you want + 1 or so.

3.  Edit /etc/ttys and copy & enable the getty lines on the consoles you
want logins on.  Leave at least one unassigned so X can use it.

4.  'kill -1 1' and your consoles are ready for use.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo