Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 08:20:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Andreas Berg <andy@flame.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with Hardware Monitoring

Greetings,

I'm trying to get Hardware Monitoring to work on my FreeBSD system but
even when I follow instructions, it wont work.

The utilities I'm trying to get to work are:
consolehm-1.31_1    Console based hardware monitor for FreeBSD
/usr/ports/sysutils/consolehm
wmhm-1.45_1         WindowMaker dockable hardware monitor for FreeBSD
/usr/ports/sysutils/wmhm
wmlmmon-0.60        WM dock app to display info from MB power management
contro
/usr/ports/sysutils/wmlmmon

The problems I get are:
root@voyager:~> chm
Failed to open /dev/smb0.

root@voyager:~> wmhm
Failed to open /dev/smb0.
Possible reasons:
- Your kernel does not support SMBUS.
- You are not running wmhm suid root.
- WMHM is already running.

root@voyager:~> wmlmmon
Failed to open device /dev/smb0.
If your system does not support intpm(4),
try to use /dev/io (-i flag) or check
the permissions of /dev/smb0.

According to man files I need the following in my kernel:
controller      smbus0
controller      iicbus0
controller      iicbb0
controller      intpm0
device          smb0    at smbus?

Since I use FreeBSD 4.4, the above no longer exists in the kernel config,
so, I've got these instead (some of them are probably not needed, but I
added more and more to see if they where needed but with all these
enabled, it still wouldn't work.)
# SMB bus
device          smbus
device          intpm
device          alpm
device          ichsmb
device          smb

# I2C Bus
device          iicbus
device          iicbb
device          ic
device          iic
device          iicsmb

options HW_WDOG

My motherboard is a Epox EP-7KXA and its got a VIA Apollo KX133 chipset.
(Perhaps the Via chipsets are not supported at this time?)

I've also tried to remove and recreate /dev/smb0 but nothing helps, still
the same error.

Any suggestions? Does anyone successfully monitor a VIA based board?

cheers,
Andy