Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:49:21 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Mike Pritchard <mpp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Doug@gorean.org (Doug), freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net (Rodney W. Grimes), des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to prevent motd including os info

[I'm catching up on a bunch of FreeBSD mail since being out on vacation, so
perhaps I've missed the essence of this thread..]

I've also had the desire to capture the output produced when /etc/rc is
run for all the reasons mentioned.  I always thought that perhaps init
would simply capture stdout on the other end of a pipe, and logically do
the "tee" thing with it.  In fact, couldn't init logically exec a

	sh /etc/rc | tee /tmp/rc-output

when invoking /etc/rc?  (Where to put the output would seem to be one
of the more difficult choices since you don't start with a writable file system
mounted anywhere..)

Or perhaps init could capture the output on the end of a pipe and
subsequently syslog it while it's echoing it to /dev/console.

louie