Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 07:41:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!lakes.water.net!rivers, ponds!sdf.com!tom
Cc:        ponds!freebsd.org!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Re: 127.1 and "localhost"  (name resolution problem.)

> On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
>
> > 127.1           localhost.water.net localhost
> >

> >  But - If I replace that line with:
> >
> > 127.0.0.1           localhost.water.net localhost
> >

> >  Everything works fine.  I suggest that, until this problem
> > is fixed,  we use 127.0.0.1 in any automated generation of
> > /etc/hosts... I'm not sure where mine came from; it could be an
> > older installation (e.g. upgrades...)
>
>   I suspect that you put it there.  The last change to the /etc/hosts file
> was made in 96/03/20.

 Yes - it seems I did put it there.  The /etc/hosts that comes
from an install appears to say 127.0.0.1

> >  If someone happens to be poking around in /etc/hosts resolution
> > code; I'd be interested in knowning why this didn't work...
>
>   Is it supposed to?  It is not a behaviour that seems useful in anyway.

 I believe the IP dot-notation indicates this is supposed to work.
If you don't have an entire quad; you're supposed to fill in with
zeros from the middle (not from the end as you might expect.)  So,

 127.1  =>  127.0.0.1

 127.10.1  => 127.0.10.1

 127   => 127.0.0.0

	- Dave Rivers -