Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 20:52:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Chris Chizk <chizk@cvs.rochester.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Connecting to isp w/ a modem

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Chris Chizk wrote:

> Hi, My question is in reguards to connecting to my isp via modem on my
> machine running freebsd.  At this point, I have no interest in
> regestering a domain name or becoming a server, I just want to connect
> to my isp to read mail etc. I can do this on my win 95 partition, but it
> is cumbersome to reboot etc. if all I want to do is read mail or
> download a file.

Indeed! windoze sucks anyways...

> I have read many of the FAQ's and chapters in the book
> that accompanied my cd, but most of it is still alittle to "low level"
> and I don't have the background to "really " comprehend it.  Is there a
> concise method somewhere on how to set up my modem and machine to dial
> in to my isp.

You're better out with the handbook...

> My equipment is a toshiba laptop w/ a 33.6 pc card fax
> modem.

You'll need some info about your ISP: dynamic of fixed IP's, DNS address,
etc.

> Also, Another unrelated question: I have been attempting to
> mount my cdrom w/ the mount command and do not entirely understand all
> the arguments.  I have read the man page but still don't get it.  I do
> not have lots of unix background but am trying. Can anyone tell me how
> to mount the a volume in the cdrom drive.  It is an IDE drive if that is
> important.

It is... First, you got to check the file /etc/fstab (more /etc/fstab).
Search for the line containing the word "cd9660" or smthing like this...
If it's there, on the same line, you should have a directory where the
cdrom will be mounted. (for me: /cdrom) It should be about this:

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump Pass#
/dev/wd0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/wd0s2a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd0s3              /dos            msdos   rw              0       0
/dev/wd0s2f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/wd0s2e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
/dev/wcd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
^
\_____It's this last line...

Then, when you insert the CD-ROM (NOT audio!), do mount /cdrom, and bingo!
You can browse the cd in the /cdrom directory as a filesystem!

For audio cds, you must use software like cdcontrol, cdplayer, xcd or
xcdplayer. I think that's about it!

Keep me informed!

Spidey