Date:      12 Jul 1996 21:20:58 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   looking for remote dump suggestion

I have two machines, ux1 and admin. Ux1 is a general machine and
not considered especially secure. Admin is used only internally
and we try to keep it relatively secure. Admin has a tape drive on
it. Ux1 does not and will not; we want all that stuff on other
machines than ux1.

To back up ux1, I have to run dump on it, which does a remote
login on admin, requiring a .rhosts on admin for ux1.  If ux1 is
root compromised, so also is admin, which kinda defeats the
purpose....

Obviously, I could hack up the entire rlogin/rsh thing on admin so
that root can _only_ run rmt and only with acceptable arguments. I
don't like this, as it really doesn't solve the problem -- a
cracker on ux1 could play havoc with backups for other machines.
(Well, I suppose, I could make it time-dependent; that is, admin
knows who should be doing what backup when and then reject
improper requests based on that. "Robust" isn't a term I'd apply
to that....)

What I'd *really* like to do is to run dump on admin but have
dump access ux1's file systems. However, for those same security
reasons, I'm not going to run NFS.

It looks like, short of a major programming project, I've painted
myself into a corner and will just have to accept the lesser of
several evils. Unless someone has a suggestion....?