Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 22:06:05 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Asking for tester (small patch to chown(8)/chgrp(1))

David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> wrote:
 > On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 12:29:20PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > I've submitted a small patch (bin/45333) for both -stable
 > > and -current, but I haven't been able to test it under
 > > -current (due to lack of a spare machine).  Would someone
 > > please give it a try and let me know if it compiles and
 > > works?
 >
 > Seems to for me (today's -CURRENT).

Thanks!

 > I did take the liberty of removing the extraneous space on (the new) line
 > 151 (so its "if" lines up with those on lines 153 & 155),

Oops, you're right, somehow there are spaces instead of
tabs in that line (probably left over from copy&paste).

 > and of
 > replacing the 'usage:' on (the new) line 305 (chgrp's usage() message,
 > showing the second alternative invocation) with whitespace (to match the
 > pattern for chown).

Right again, I missed that.

 > (If someone wants my diff, please let me know.
 > It's not sufficiently different from what Oliver put in his PR to
 > warrant spamming -current, as far as I'm concerned.)

I've sent a small follow-up to the PR.

 > > The patch adds an option -r to chown(8) and chgrp(1), which
 > > does pretty much the same as the -r option of touch(1) and
 > > truncate(1).  Basically, it let's you "copy" ownerships and
 > > group memberships from one file to another, which is useful
 > > in scripts.
 >
 > Makes sense.  Only reservation I'd have -- and this may well be
 > unfounded -- is to be sure we're not introducing gratutitous
 > differences with respect to other implementations or to applicable
 > standards.  I have no problem with functional differences that don't
 > break standards conformance (to the extent we claim it, anyway).

I have checked a number of other operating systems including
our brother and sister BSDs (Net- and Open-), Solaris and
Tru64.  There are no collisions nor similar functionality
with different syntax.  I also checked SUSv3 / POSIX, same
result.

On the other hand, GNU chown/chgrp (used under Linux) does
have such functionality (what a surprise), _but_ only with
a GNU-style long option:  --reference=<rfile>.  There is no
short single-letter option for it.  Clearly, I decided not
to introduce GNU-style long option into our chown/chgrp.
;-)

 > Hope this is useful.

It is indeed, thanks!

Regards