Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 22:24:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ie0 and fe0 probes in 4.0-CURRENT GENERIC break ep0 probe

I've posted about this previously, and am still hoping for a useful answer
:-).  I have a box with an ISA 3Com 3C509 Etherlink III card in it, but
the ie0 and fe0 probes now come before the ep0 probe in the boot sequence.
If those two probes are enabled, as they are on the same port (0x300) they
leave ep0 in a state wherein the system crashes after the ep0 probe.
I'm not sure what the right answer is here--reorder the probes?  Change
the ep0 probe?  Either way, things are not very happy :-).  Suggestions
welcome.

(This is the second of two machines I tried to upgrade to 4.0, with ISA
ethernet cards, and both crash nastily with the GENERIC kernel as is)

  Robert N M Watson