Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:51:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Excessive collisions on Ethernet

>    Anything less than 50% collision rate is okay and doesn't reduce the
> throughput significantly. All of the numbers below are in the noise.

I'd say that depends on the apps.  We had a production system running ESix
(early S5R4 implementation) that had an application that ran multicast,
using 486DX33 CPUs and SMC Elite16 NICs, on a coaxial net.

We started seeing severe collisions, well below the 50% rate, that
markedly impacted the reliability of the system.  We changed over to fully
switched 10BaseT (the previous tech director had a rabid fear of 10BaseT)
and the reliability problems went away completely.

Then again, I hate collisions so much that I run switched 100baseT at
home (got a great deal on an 8 port switch :-)  It's nice when the
harddrive on either end is the bottleneck for local FTPs.