Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:14:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Losing the battle with RC1

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:22:10 -0800 (PST)
> > From: Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > For the past few days I have been trying to get RC1 running on my old
> > > laptop (IBM ThinkPad 600E). The installation worked pretty well, but
> > > the system crashes frequently when acpi is running.
> > >
> > > I decided to get a dump to look at and added the following to my
> > > rc.conf:
> > > dumpdev="/dev/ad0s2b"
> > > dumpdir="/scratch"
> > >
> > > ad0s2 IS my swap partition. I don't think the /scratch directory is
> > > relevant as I never get to the savecore.
> >
> > ad0s2 needs to be as big as main memory or dumps may overwrite the next
> > partition.
>
> Nate,
>
> Actually, a bit bigger. But that doesn't matter as I made it 160 MB
> back when this system had 128 MB of RAM. It now has 192 MB.
>
> I feel terribly stupid at the moment. Excuse me while I re-partition.

It shouldn't matter if the swap is smaller than memory.
In that case it is supposed to refuse to dump core there.
It checks first.. If it's too small, you won't gget a dump, but it
shouldn't do any damage either..

BTW the dump size is the size of memory USED BY THE SYSTEM, so if you
set the value in teh loader to tell teh kernel to use less of teh RAM
teh dump will be smaller and it should fit.

> Thanks for pointing out the obvious! (Although I am confused by why it
> wiped the root partition which is BEFORE swap.)

Losing the root partition was probabyl a different problem.
If it is the same problem, then it is a bad bug in GEOM but I
doubt it at this time.