Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 2009 01:16:39 -0500
From:      Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Pim Bliek <pim.bliek@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB GPS mouse in Wine

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Pim Bliek wrote:
> > Anyone any suggestions on this issue? I did a lot of Google... but
> > did not find anything usefull beyond this point. Seems this works on
> > Linux with Wine, but no clues for getting this working in FreeBSD.
>
> I have a Bluetooth GPS device and I can talk to it under Wine.
>
> I am not really sure what you mean by a GPS mouse.. You mean a USB GPS
> receiver?

It seems that a "GPS mouse" is a GPS receiver that is the size and shape of
a computer mouse --- although only rather approximately.  It's a horrid
term  The first time I heard it, I considered for a moment if someone was
using a GPS receiver as the sensor for a mouse (rather than a ball or laser
optics).  I only considered this for a moment... it's obviously not
possible.

I found that this program worked -
> http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPS/Download/Download.html
>
> Can you get it to talk to your device?

Isn't the key going to be finding one of the USB serial interfaces that
work?  For all the technology in a GPS, they communicate via serial
protocols (s.t. the bluetooth ones present a serial profile --- that's how
you get your bluetooth GPS working).

Too bad there isn't a small number of standard USB serial protocols ... like
bluetooth.