Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 15:00:59 -0400
From:      Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
To:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/39824: Various tweaks for doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig/chapter.sgml; corresponding comment clarification for GENERIC

At 8:35 PM +0200 2002/07/08, Szilveszter Adam wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 11:02:46PM -0400, Chris Pepper wrote:
>>	If you're going to rework it that much, I'd make it "devices
>>  which are not present in the default kernel, such as sound cards or
>>  the IPFW firewall".
>>
>>	Actually, though, it should be rewritten to mention that
>>  sound drivers and other kernel functions can be loaded via kldload
>>  (see kern/39814 & Message-ID:
>>  <20020625194229.GA1289@fonix.adamsfamily.xx>). I'm not clear on the
>>  details yet, but kernel rebuilds are no longer a requirement for this
>>  purpose. The problematic section is likely to get fixed or eliminated
>>  as a side-effect.
>
>Heh, this must have been me. To clarify: Look at the file
>/boot/defaults/loader.conf on your machine and see what modules can be
>loaded at boot time. If what you are after is not listed there, then it
>may not work just now. (There may be differences between -CURRENT and
>-STABLE, and I run only the former)
>
>According to my log, it also should be under
>src/sys/boot/forth/loader.conf.

	Yep, that's you. I looked in there, added USB modules, and
made my system un-bootable for a while, so I'm not ready to take on
an explanation of how to load modules.

	Does the ipfw stuff in /etc/defaults/rc.conf depend on
manually adding ipfw to /boot/loader.conf to work? I've been looking
for info on loading modules, but it's pretty sparse.

						Chris
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>;
Rockefeller University:        <http://www.rockefeller.edu/>;