Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 1995 17:45:05 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        davidg@Root.COM, terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: help with splbio, splnet, spl...

[ What do the spl* routines do? ]

> >It's a tiered interrupt scheme.  You can block all interrupts
> >at or below a specified priority while you are doing high
> >priority stuff so that it gets done in time.  The "fast"
> >interrupts can't be blocked.
>
>    It doesn't work this way in FreeBSD. It is not a tierd interrupt scheme.
> Each of the interrupt classes are independant and do NOT block the others. The
> only exception to this is tty and net are ored together if you are using SLIP
> or PPP (the reason should be obvious).

Interesting.  I wasn't aware that you could do this on a PC, since I was
under the impression that you had to have a tiered scheme with the 8259.
Obviously I was mis-informed since this would imply that no interrupt is
given a higher priority over another interrupt.  Is there any way this
can be done short of OR'ing a lot of the different masks together to
keep certain interrupts from happening?  Is this how the sio driver does
things?

(I know, use the source...)

Nate