Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 09:45:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Newell <mnewell@kaizen.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Carlos Ugarte <cau@cc.gatech.edu>, mc7953@mclink.it, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asus PVI486SP3 and Adaptec 2940 compatibility

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Don't confuse ISA busmasters and PCI busmasters.  The 1542 is an ISA
> busmaster, and may have problems on the PVI486SP3 (I can't say, I've
> never tried).  The 2940 is a PCI busmaster and I know for a fact
> that they work fine in that board.
>
> The 2940 _may_ have one of the buggy firmware revisions that cause drama
> with PnP motherboards; this should be checked with a call to Adaptec's
> tech support.

I have two Asus Pentium boards (P55TP4N).  In my home machine I used an
Adaptec 1542 board for about a week with no ill effects; ran great.  This
weekend I swapped out the 1542 for a 2940 (what a nightmare THAT was -
they don't use the same geometry remapping apparently; sigh...) and
it's been running several hours now with no problems.

One thing I *DID* do was tell the Asus BIOS about all legacy cards that
use ISA interrupts - it's in the "PnP" setup I believe.  Also make
*ABSOLUTELY SURE* your SCSI bus is properly terminated :-).

Thanks,

Mike