Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2006 20:20:12 GMT
From:      Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-pf@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/106400: fatal trap 12 at restart of PF with ALTQ if ng0 device has detached

The following reply was made to PR kern/106400; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
To: "Boris S." <bst2006@dva.dyndns.org>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org,  glebius@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/106400: fatal trap 12 at restart of PF with ALTQ if ng0
 device has detached
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 21:16:03 +0100

 Boris,

 On 12/06/06 20:17, Boris S. wrote:
 > I use ALTQ primarily for priorizing tcp acks.
 > Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think it is not possible to priorize TCP
 > ACKS on encapsulated PPPoE data on the 'real' interface.

 You do this for example:

 altq on xl0 ....
 queue blabla ...

 pass out on ng0 all queue(blablabla)

 > Bandwidth limiting on ng0 works great if I left some bandwidth for the
 > PPPoE overhead.
 >
 > Beside this, I can't currently limit the real interface, because the
 > dsl-modem is connected in another room on the main LAN. I don't have a
 > dedicated NIC for the modem.

 As I understand your NAT gateway has just one NIC and you're using a
 PPPoE pass-thru capable router?

 If so, you may still be able to use one queue for local traffic and
 one queue for external traffic (and sub-queues of both of course) on
 your NIC. But that's a question of personal taste. If ALTQ works for
 you your way, I would not effort a change.

 Greetings,

 Volker