Date:      27 Oct 1999 21:12:43 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        kohligs@bol.net.in
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: none

"Goldi Kohli" <kohligs@bol.net.in> writes:

> Dear Sir
>
> I am interested in dowloading Free BSD for my system.But since I am
> relatively new to this OS I am at a loss in downloading as well as
> installing it on my system.
>
> Could you be kind enough to help me out by telling me the step by step
> procedure to downloading as well as installing it on my system.
>
> Thanking you
> Goldi Kohli
> kohligs@bol.net.in

Well, you could start by browsing through <http://www.freebsd.org>; and
reading about FreeBSD, gathering all the information that you think is
useful to you, such as what hardware is supported, what documentation is
available and in which ways it is accessible, etc.

Then order a copy of FreeBSD's release from Walnut Creek CDROM, which
can even be done online at their homepage at <http://www.cdrom.com>.

When you get the CDROMs print the various README's that are related to
the installation, and can be found in the disks.

After that, give it a shot, by trying to set up basic things in FreeBSD,
such as a basic-binaries-only installation.  If that seems to finish ok,
either add more packages from the CDROMs, or start reading in the
FreeBSD-Handbook and FAQ about the ports collection and use that for
your installations instead.

Last, but certainly not least, you can subscribe to this list and/or any
other mailing lists that seem to be of some interest to you.  You can
find information about the mailing lists of FreeBSD at the
<http://www.freebsd.org/>; pages too.

Since you are a beginner in FreeBSD, this list (freebsd-questions) and
the freebsd-newbies one are the ones where you will find a valuable
resource of information.  Subscribed to these lists are some of the very
people who develop FreeBSD, so sending questions here usually means that
you're actually asking the developers themselves.

Have a nice time with your FreeBSD installation...

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]