Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:27:39 +0200
From:      Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
To:        Hanspeter Roth Bsag <roth@bsag.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: procmail diverts mail to daemon's mailbox

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 09:17:17PM +0200, Hanspeter Roth Bsag wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've setup a simple .procmailrc for Root:
>
> 	# .procmailrc
>
> 	:0
> 	/var/mail/root
>
> But all mail for root get's to /var/root/daemon.
>
> What's wrong?
>
> -Hanspeter

> end of the original message

   I'm running qmail and it does not permit to deliver mail directly to
root for security reasons: you must define a user that receive mail
for root, mailer-daemon and postmaster. The file .procmailrc in /root
is not even read, because the mail is delivered to another user
(daemon in your case).

   I don't know what MTA you're running, but maybe it has the same
(correct) behaviour.

   Try to put the following .procmailrc in the home directory of the
user which receive mail for root (e.g. daemon):

:0
* ^TO.*root
/var/mail/root

   Remeber to do the following (as root):