Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:18:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current report. :) (moved to chat/questions)

I really can't say.  Other people use FreeBSD just fine for their
newsserver, and I did too, but I would get these random fs-related
crashes.

John Dyson looked at them, and said "yep, looks like some vnode locking
problems", and patched up 3.0 (as far as I can tell).

However, the patches never made it into 2.2.2.

I was able to reproduce it on 2 different machines.

I would still use 2.2.2 and get the adaptec fixes, you should be fine,
and certainly plenty of people are using FreeBSD for newsserver just fine.

Must've just been my combo...