Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 16:04:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Josh Elsasser <jre@vineyard.net>
To:        Arthur Lugtigheid <arthur@ambacht.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [NEWBIE] multiple problems on VAIO pcg fx-103

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Arthur Lugtigheid wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Sony VAIO PCG-FX103 on which I was meaning to install FreeBSD,
> but it didn't work out the way I wanted. There's been nothing but
> trouble.
>
> First of all, when I installed freebsd 4.3-RELEASE I used cvsup to
> update the src and ports to 4.4-RELEASE but when I reboot, the boot
> hangs at "mounting root from ...". Then I downloaded the CD and burned
> the image.. same thing: boot hangs. That's the first problem I
> encountered.

Stop the bootloader at the countdown and type:
set hw.pcic.intr_path=1
set hw.pcic.irq=0

Once you've booted, you can put the following lines into
/boot/loader.conf to do this every time you boot:
hw.pcic.intr_path=1
hw.pcic.irq=0

I believe this is mentioned in the release notes somewhere.

> Second problem is the resolution of the screen. It's 640x480 now, but I
> just wonder if there's a way to get it to run in 1024x768. mind you, I
> haven't installed X yet, so console only.

Not alot you can do about that.  I've played around with VESA video
modes and such, but none of them are much better.

> Then there's apm, which isn't supported. I read something about apci,
> but  couldn't find anything about how to configure/install it.

APCI is only in -CURRENT.  It might make it into -STABLE before 5.0,
but it also might not.  I also have a Vaio without APM.

> Finally there's the configuration of X windows. The video-card installed
> in my laptop is a Intel i815 card. Version of X is 4.x
>  I recompiled the kernel with agpgart and it recognizes the card (I can
> see from dmesg) but whatever I do, it doesn't run in 1024x768. Is there
> anyone who has experience setting up X on this card and who's willing to
> share that knowledge with me?

I have the same chip in my Vaio, be sure you get the newest version of
X.  Anything after 4.1 should be fine.  The trick is to put this line
in your "Device" section:
Option      "NoDDC"

I can send you my whole XF86Config if you'd like.