Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 08:10:02 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CLOSE_WAIT

In message <3C41A723.141910E8@vortex.wa4phy.net>, Sam Drinkard writes:
> Have there been any changes made in the code that cause sockets to not
> close promptly after successful connection?  I'm seeing the close_wait
> state for 15-20 minutes after closing a connection.  OR, do I have
> something not turned on that used to be?  4.5-Pre of 23 Dec.

Let me guess, HTTP, right?  Try shutting down your browser, the
CLOSE_WAIT's will disappear.  If you're running a web server you'll see
the corresponding FIN_WAIT_2's will also disappear on the server
machine when you shut down your browser.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team      Email:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC