Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:09:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      bv@wjv.com
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apparently FreeBSD-specific DNS failure

Reply to: bv@wjv.com

> On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> > If you *really* want to open that can of worms, have a look at
> > draft-oscarsson-i18ndns-00.txt:

> OK, but to sum up (and kill) this thread:  The '_' character in domain
> names is:
>
>   legal in RFC 1033
>   not legal in RFC 1035
>   not legal in RFC 1123
>   legal in RFC 2181
>   legal in draft-oscarsson-i18ndns-00

> However, according to RFC 2400 which names the documents which are
> currently standard, required, recommended, elective, proposed, or just
> drafts, only RFC 1123 is required.

> However, I think we can very safely say that (at least on August 7th,
> 2000) the '_' character is not a "legal" character in a domain name.

I'm surprised this is still biting people.  I setup internet connectivity
for a local CC about 1994.  At that time the docs I read said that _ was
going away and was not going to work in future systems.

I told the peole cat the college that they had several machines with
an undercore in them, and they should make plans to change them, so you
can't say this was an entirely unexpected thing - except for those
who don't read the information.

Of course at that time there were problems with domains with a
numeric as their first character - eg 3com  for example

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv@wjv.com.