Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:39:53 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why are so many people using 4.x?

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 03:58:37PM -0500, DAve wrote:
> Joseph Vella wrote:
> >I notice a lot of references to version 4.x.  Is there any overwhelming=
=20
> >reason why its use seems to be still popular.  I'm wanting to set up a=
=20
> >server (just for play) on my home network using a PII machine.  Am I=20
> >better off using an older version for such old equipment?  If so, do any=
=20
> >particular versions stand out?
>=20
> If I had my choice I would use 4.10 instead of 5.X. No real bias against=
=20
> the changes or decisions made in 5.X, and I don't want to start an=20
> argument. But my 4.x servers just run, and run, and run. I've never had=
=20
> to ask a question or had any issues when patching or installing=20
> software/hardware on my 4.X servers. 4.X just seems more stable and more=
=20
> mature to me, which is what attracted me to FreeBSD 7 odd years ago.
>=20
> If you want to *learn* FreeBSD I would recommend 4.X as there is lots of=
=20
> information, forum data, HowTo, example information already out there.

Except that over the next year all support for 4.x will be terminated
(and in practise 4.x is already largely unsupported), so you'll be
basically on your own with a lot of stuff.

Really you want to use 6.0 or 6.1 on any new system, simply because
that's the modern, supported version of FreeBSD.

Kris

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP--