Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:08:48 -0600
From:      Darren Spruell <darren_spruell@sento.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH 3.6.1 support in RELENG_5_0?

Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jul 23), Darren Spruell said:
>
>>I just updated from 5.0 release per the RELENG_5_0 tag. I had
>>expected that the source tree would then contain openssh-3.6.1p but
>>after a make installworld I see that it is still at 'OpenSSH_3.5p1
>>FreeBSD-20021029' (according to a scanssh query.)
>>
>>Should I be seeing 3.6.1 or is it not in the tree?
>

> RELENG_5_0 is the branch for people that are running 5.0 on production
> systems and only want security patches.  I doubt RELENG_5_0 has many
> differences from RELENG_5_0_0_RELEASE.  You probably want to track
> either HEAD or RELENG_5_1, since openssh 3.6.1 got imported before
> FreeBSD 5.1 was released.  Or if you want to stick with 5.0, install
> the openssh port.
>
> $ uname -r
> 5.1-CURRENT
> $ /usr/bin/ssh -V
> OpenSSH_3.6.1p1 FreeBSD-20030423, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
> $ _

Hope you don't mind me asking. I'm more familiar with OpenBSD's model
which is strictly two CVS tags: M_m and OPENBSD_M_m which are -current
and -stable respectively, with M being major version and m being minor
version. So OPENBSD_3_2 tag would be -stable for 3.2 (if I understand
correctly, that is...)

What is HEAD and RELENG_5_1 in FreeBSD?

It sounds like the tag RELENG_5_0 that I followed is little more than
the critical patch branch for 5.0; how do I accomplish following the
-stable branch, if there exists one: something in between strictly
neccesary patches and possibly buggy Current?

--
Darren Spruell
Sento I.S. Department