Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:01:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Alton Matthew <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>, Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD XFS Port & BSD VFS Rewrite

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Matt doesn't represent the FreeBSD project, and even if he rewrites
> the VFS subsystem so he can understand it, his rewrite would face
> considerable resistance on its way into FreeBSD.  I don't think
> there is reason to rewrite it, but there certainly are areas
> that need fixing.

You are misinformed as far as I know.. From discussions I saw, th
main architect of a VFS rewrite would be Kirk, and Matt would be acting as
Kirk's right-hand-man.

> >> 	The use of the "vfs_default" to make unimplemented VOP's
> >> 	fall through to code which implements function, while well
> >> 	intentioned, is misguided.
>
> I beg to differ.  The only difference is that we pass through
> multiple layers before we hit the bottom of the stack.  There is
> no loss of functionality but significant gain of clarity and
> modularity.

Well I believe that Kirk considers them misguided too, but he stated that
he wasn't going to remove them without serious thought about the alternatives.