Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:34:40 +0100 (BST)
From:      Aled Morris <aledm@routers.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTN Emacs users; new Zile release

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Hmmm... I for one would not want it to be the standard editor. Vi is
> > and always has been the standard editor for unix. I think it should
>
> I think you misunderstand.  This doesn't replace vi and never did.
> ee is a *different* editor, for a different audience, and the fact
> that you symlink it to vi on your own box is completely and utterly
> irrelevant to that fact. :)

I wish EE's default was Emacs keybindings though - rather than "yet
another" set of made-up keystrokes [aside: OK, flame me, they're standard
from some popular package with which I am not familiar, right?]

Many other apps use Emacs keybindings (X programs for example) so it is
useful for newbies to at least get used to the "standard".

In the style of this thread: "the first thing I do after installing
FreeBSD for a newbie is
	echo 'emacs noexpand nomargins' >>/usr/share/misc/init.ee
"

Aled
--
tel  +44 973 207987                     O-
aledm@routers.co.uk