Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 19:46:57 +0100
From:      Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        felix@royal.net
Subject:   Re: wanted: mail-filter capable of the maildir-format

On Mon, Dec 08, 1997 at 12:44:17PM +0000, Aled Treharne wrote:
> procmail (v3.11pre7) supports the maildir format, so long as you have
> your mail in maildir formats in the first place.

uuups. I was just in the mood of writing my success-story. But as
far as I know, procmail doesn't support maildir out of the box, but
one has to integrate a certain patch. (A link to the patch is easy to be
found at http://www.qmail.org.

Works like a charm, besides that I just have to re-activate my procmail-
knowledge.

> On this not, does anyone know of an easy way of changing normal (?)
> mailboxes into maildir format? At the mo' I have to save the mail to a
> temp folder, delete the old folder, create the new maildir directories
> (cur,new,tmp..etc)
In the first place you really should use 'maildirmake' to create new maildirs.
It's part of the standard qmail-distribution.

> and then save the mail to the new maildir folder. It's
> a real pain, even with Pine's select (;) command. We would like to change
;-)) I was searching for the maildir-capable filter just because of the
'pain' to have to select all the mail for each mailing-list manually and
then saving it to the folder. (Although, ...that's quite easy and effective
with mutt)

> all of our users accross to maildir format, but it's just too much
> hassle.
Right. But have a closer look at the 'user-contributed Maildir Support'
section of the qmail-website. ("Ivan Kohler has a mbox2maildir program.")
That's the place I've found the procmail-patch.
(Hint, hint, ... it really should be integrated in the procmail-port ...)

> Pine 3.95 supports maildir format too. :)
fine. But I switched to mutt for misc. reasons (threaded mail-sorting ...)
some time ago.

Regards,
  Andreas Braukmann

--
/// TSE TeleService GmbH  |  Gsf: Arne Reuter        |
/// Hovestrasse 14        |       Andreas Braukmann  | We do it with