Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 23:36:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Descent Sources

> > Hi,
> > It appears someone has managed to compile Descent under Linux using the Mac C
> > source in place of the assembly :)
> > Check out 'http://www.muppetlabs.com/linux/descent/' for the patches.
>
> I've put a trivial patch to the ldescent-0.0.1 release above at
> ftp://ftp.gsoft.com.au/misc/bdescent.diff.gz
>
> This is enough to get it compiled under -current; I don't expect that
> it will run.  Outstanding issues (before we get to the point the Linux
> people are at):
>
>  - No palette support (Soren, libvgl has no documented palette handling
>    functions!)

man vgl :) :)

     void VGLSetPalette(byte *red, byte *green, byte *blue)

It isn't there ???

>  - No keyboard support. (The Linux svgalib seems to support calling a
>    user-supplied keyboard handler on interrupt.  This is unspeakably
>    bogus if true.)

Many things in l* are bogus :), I think you should use the semi
translated mode K_CODE, this gives nice onebyte values for each
key, and gives both up and down events.

>  - Possibly broken joystick support (I've never used the joy(4) driver
>    before...).

We have a joy dirver, should be easy...

> Just FYA; note there are lots of unaddressed issues with the remainder
> of the code (the warning:code ratio is alarmingly high).

Well, I'll have to sit around makeing install tapes today, so I might
be able to take a look...

						Søren