Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 2010 21:54:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        Jamie <jamie@geniegate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "app store" for open source Unix?

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010, Jamie wrote:

> > I do understand the problem. The open source Unix community is so
> > diverse -- so many platforms, so many APIs, so many different developer
> > environments, so many opinions, and little money incentive.
>
> For cross platform, there is "pkgsrc" you might look into it, NetBSD,
> DragonFlyBSD and rumors... some linux's can use pkgsrc.

:) (Yes, I KNOW pkgsrc. I ported it to BSD/OS, I helped port it to
DragonFly. And I have an entire Linux distro based on pkgsrc which I
means a pkgsrc-ized glibc, linux the kernel, modutils, netkit,
vixie-cron, etc ...)

> We have the technology to do all this, but, not everyone uses a unix
> desktop. I for one would be disgusted if I needed a gui or a browser
> to install something.
>
> Browsing them is a bit of a hassle, I use 'grep' for that, but I guess
> there's something like:
>
>   make search keyword="blah"

s/keyword/key/

> (I never use that)
>
> Most of the apps have some kind of URL you can load for more info if you
> need it.

Building from ports (or pkgsrc) is too slow. So I will stop there.
Reading pkg-descr usually doesn't provide enough detail to know if it
provides what I want. Visiting each website adds more time (especially
since websites vary in quality of explanation. For example, when my wife
wanted a calculator, I ended up installing around seven and when I
wanted an image viewer I installed over ten. Too much wasted time.

> I do wish there were a safe way to run the make config-recursive and
> have it "really" do it recursively, I wish the build system would test
> for a tty and if no tty, go into batch mode, and I wish it'd email me
> if it needed more from me.  (and give me the chance to conf later one)

I haven't tried it, but what about the BATCH setting used for skipping
interactive ports?

<snip>

> Which fires up a gadget for me to supply additional info to the package
> being built, and things continue...

Now ... that is just way too much time for me. If I want an application,
I want to find it and install it within a minute.

  Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'EhZ[h ^jjf0%%h[[Zc[Z_W$d[j%Xeeai%ZW[ced#]dk#f[d]k_d%' | \